Sunday, May 8, 2011

Back to lighting

I've been working on one of the CGTalk lighting challenges : SciFi

The challenges give you a pre-modeled scene and let you focus more on lighting and shading

It has been a good opportunity for me to learn a few new tricks and to concentrate completely on CG Lighting, which I love!! What a fun week it has been working on this :) Here are some renders from the journey so far and what I've learned :












For the non CG people : Directing the eye with color and light has been one of my more central areas of focus in this project. I think compositionally it could still use some work but animation has yet to be added. I really enjoyed playing with warm\cool color contrast, I think in the next piece I'll perhaps do the inverse and see what I come up with.

For the CG people : This is my first attempt using Importons and Irradiance Particles, which I love ... I was a little biased against "GI" solutions because I hated photons in Mental Ray. This was good for me because throughout The Red Kite I forced myself to light EVERYTHING without any GI. I learned a lot through that process. Now I enjoy IP\Importons because the artifacting is low, render times aren't that bad, and it really helps make nice renders when used well.

I also learned a lot in the rendering and compositing process. To get the final render I picked up a nifty trick where I subtracted all my passes from my masterbeauty which left me with a tonemapping pass, essentially ... I then used that as a pass which I added all the other layers back onto in order to create the same as my masterbeauty pass but in layers rather than 1 pass. Using these seperated layers I was really able to add some glow to areas I wanted, make the buttons look more refractive and have more fun with color. Big fan of post processing.

No comments:

Post a Comment